Review: The Vanishing by Jayne Ann Krentz

Forty years ago in the small town of Fogg Lake, "The Incident" occurred: an explosion in the cave system that released unknown gases, causing peculiar effects on its residents, such as strange visions and ominous voices. Not wanting the government to get involved, they chalked it up to the hallucinogenic effects of mushrooms. Little did they know these effects would linger through the generations....

Residents Catalina Lark and Olivia Dayton have been best friends for years and own an investigation firm together, using what they call the "other sight" to help with their business. When Olivia goes missing, Cat frantically begins the search for her alone when the town does nothing about it. When scientist Slate Trevelyan shows up, she has no choice but to accept his help even though there's something about him she just can't trust. The duo discovers someone is hunting the two witnesses of a murder in Fogg Lake fourteen years ago—the very one Cat and Olivia witnessed as teens, one that they couldn't prove happened. Cat and Slate's search for Olivia takes them down a rabbit hole that is far more dangerous and mysterious than they ever expected, and with a killer in their midst, neither of them can foresee who will come out alive. 
Even when it's been a while for me reading Krentz I can pick up one of her books and feel like I've come home. The way she writes makes her a comfort read for me. I just really enjoy her books. 

When I saw this new series starting I knew I had to give it a try. It just sounded so good and I loved the idea of it. It kinda reminded me of her otherworldly books. Since we haven't had any of those in a while I was excited. 

I was right about wanting to read it. I just loved The Vanishing. It has wonderful characters, those ones that make a Krentz book sing. The suspense is good but not over the top. You have a well balanced romantic suspense with the right amount of romance. 

I loved both Catalina and Slate. Krentz comes up with wonderful names for her characters. She's been entertaining me for what seems a lifetime with them. Right away you know these two work together. They just mesh. 

I love how Slate tells her that he's been locked up in an attic. You'll have to read the book to understand what I'm talking about. His comment is funny, not what happened to him. Slate's family is also very funny. Spending the holidays with them would be different. 

As a whole, the story works well and gives you enough about what the series is going to be about and leaves you wanting more. I could have most likely read the whole series in one sitting. That's how much I enjoyed The Vanishing. 

Do any of you read her? If so share a favorite book of hers that you enjoyed. 







Comments

Popular Posts