Book Club Thursday: Getting to Know Us



Welcome back to Book Club Thursday! 

I can't believe we are doing our first post of 2018. I really hope you'll join us this year in a the fun! 



This week we are talking about, Bad Editing: Notice or Not?

I think this is a really good question. I don't know about you but I read a ton of books. Not only do I read them but I also review all the ones I read so that means I run into a lot of bad editing. 

Do I mind bad editing? Sometimes! I know, that's a crap answer right? Well what can I say. It doesn't always bother me. Sure, when I see a author use there when it should be their I think huh, someone missed that. But do I get mad and throw a temper tantrum? No!

Now I know you are most likely saying to yourself, who would throw a temper tantrum over bad editing? Many people. I see it all the time on Facebook. I have to admit that I most likely miss much of it by correcting it in my head as I read. 

When you read as many ARC's as I do you get use to errors. Shit happens and I don't have time to sweat the small stuff. I'm sure I have a ton of errors in this post. People going crazy about grammar mistakes is one of the reasons I did at first want to blog. I was afraid of the remarks. As you can see I got over it and try my best not to notice mistakes but lets be real, we are all human! 

 Now even though I say I don't mind the occasional mistake, I do hate when that's all you get is mistakes. If I find more then ten that kind of makes me think, 'did no one edit this' don't forget that I mentioned that I miss half the mistakes because I just fix them in my head. So that means these have to be in your face mistakes. 

I also hate when the characters name keep changing. I get one time, sometimes the author might have had a different name for the character and it didn't fit but when it happens a few times, now that's bad editing. 

So, what about you? Does it drive you crazy to find errors in your favorite books? Or do you just move on? What's your thoughts on this subject? 

Thanks for visiting and happy reading! ♡ 



January 11th "Thursday Rewind: Remember When"


Comments

  1. We had some similar thoughts! And yes, I think our brain fixes errors sometimes or maybe the book is so good we don't care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said, you get use to mistakes when you read ARC's all the time.

      Delete
  2. It loses a star for me if the editing is bad. With ARCs I give a little buffer since I know some things will get caught in clean up but forgetting a characters name? Nope. Not okay. I usually find someone who has a purchased copy and see what theirs says. I'm buying a final product and editing is part of that. If there's more than 3 or 4 minor editing blips then they've fallen down on their job at some point along the line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since it's not my job to edit I think I miss stuff because I'm not reading it for that purpose. But when they jump out at me then I know we have a problem. When it happens over and over it does tick me off.

      Delete
  3. It bothers me if it's a glaring mistake. Sometimes though I won't even see it until someone else points it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's happened to me too. Little mistakes I fix in my head, big ones pull me out of the zone.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts