Review: The Bet by Rachel Van Dyken

The Bet
The Bet Series #1
Rachel Van Dyken
Grand Central




"I have a proposition for you." Kacey should have run the minute those words left Seattle millionaire Jake Titus's mouth. It's been years since Kacey's seen her childhood friend Jake, but the minute Jake mentions his ill grandmother, Kacey is ready to do anything for the sweet old woman. And if that means pretending they're engaged for her sake-so be it.

But Kacey wasn't counting on Jake's older brother Travis still being there. She calls him "Satan" for a reason: she's never forgotten the way he teased and taunted her. Yet when they meet again, Travis's gorgeous smile is a direct hit to her heart . . . and Kacey's more confused than ever. As the days pass, only one thing starts to become alarmingly clear-she never should have accepted Jake's deal . . .






We chose The Bet for the book club I get together with once a month. I've been getting together with them for more then 10 years so picking a book for us all to read it's always easy. Since we've been together for so long you'd think we know each others taste and it would be easy. 

No such luck!

Part of the problem is that we never want to start a series in the middle, (and there are so many series) and I refuse to read first person (they don't all like it either so this is easy for us) plus, none or most of us aren't into the new adult. 

So when I saw the quote on the front of the book by and author I like I thought to myself...you should buy this. I looked at the back and it sound cute. Book in hand I walked out of the store. Don't worry, I paid first. 

That month at book club when we were looking for something to read next I pulled out The Bet and another book that I bought at the same time. We all liked how both sounded and picked The Bet to read first. 

Like I said above, this sounded like a fun, small town type of story. The ones I really like. And one of the big things I liked about the book was the print. My tired old eyes and no problem reading it. Thanks Grand Central Publishing!!!

I quickly realized after I started it that this was going to be a interesting meeting. I knew for a fact that the ladies that showed up, we usually have five but that month only 4, none were going to like it. 

And I was right. 

I want to say that I didn't think it was totally terrible but I can't. Now let me explain. I think the main reason I didn't like it was because of how immature I found everyone. This book read more like it was new adult, then straight small-town romance. I don't know how I missed that when I was checking out this book. 

 But I did. I think...

I'm still not totally clear on that. Anyway. I have to say it wasn't a hit but it did make for a lively meeting. Everyone had so much to say. 

Now, because I'm not a huge fan of new adult I wouldn't put any stock into what I say if you are. BUT...if you don't care for new adult then you might want to think twice about this one. 

If you've read The Bet or any other book by Rachel Van Dyken I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks for visiting and happy reading! 


  

Comments

  1. I don't like dissing authors, but to me, she didn't care much about her story which seems like she wrote it by the seat of her pants or after a couple of bottles of wine, maybe? If the author doesn't care, why should I? The age of the characters made a lot of the story seem implausible as well as the immaturity of the three characters. In comparison, I read a story with characters who were younger than Van Dyken's wealthy dolts, but had more serious problems, and they had more maturity and heart even without money.Comedy is one thing, but the Bet fell flat.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts