Sugar Springs by Kim Law


sugarsprings


Sugar Springs 

Can she have the family she always wanted…
Lee Ann London once had big plans…scholarship, college, love. Then she found herself raising her deceased sister’s twin girls when their father disappeared. Now, with her beautiful girls, a community that depends on her, and her photography studio finally taking off, Lee Ann may not have the life she’d imagined, but it’s definitely the one she wants. Until Cody, her bad-boy ex, returns to Sugar Springs…
Or are some hurts too deep to heal?
Cody’s childhood put a chip on his shoulder the size of Texas. Bouncing around the foster care system, he was always the one to leave before anyone left him first. Then he found a place he wanted to stick: with Lee Ann, the best thing that ever happened to him. Only, he hurt her. Bad. He’s back now, and determined to earn her forgiveness…and maybe win back her love while he’s at it.



Excerpt 

“What exactly just happened here?” He motioned with his bottle to the emptiness around them. “One minute everyone was content, hanging out, and then as if a bell rang, they all scattered. And you can’t convince me they’re really going in to do homework on a Saturday night.”
Soft laughter made its way out of Lee Ann, and he leaned in closer to hear it better. He loved making her laugh. He feared there had been too few moments of laughter during the last thirteen years. He would make that up to her if she’d let him.
The thought gave him pause, but he realized it was the truth. He wanted to make her laugh on a regular basis. That meant he wanted to be around her the same.
She tilted up her beer instead of answering. After taking several long pulls, she remained silent.
“Did I do something else wrong?” he asked. “Just tell me and I’ll try to fix it. I swear, girls should come with owner’s manuals.”
One more long drink and she turned to him, her face mere inches away. “They think we want some alone time,” she stated blandly.
Oh. He had smarts kids. “They might be right.”
She shook her head, the movement a bit off, and he realized it didn’t take much to make her tipsy. “No, they aren’t right. You’re here only for them.” She took another drink. “In fact, since they’ve gone in, you should probably go too.”
“And what if I don’t want to go?” he asked. He lifted a hand and touched the backs of his fingers to the soft underside of her chin. Her face tilted up. “What if I want more than to be here only for them?”



Review 


I was lucky enough to be able to meet Kim Law at RT13 (Romantic Times Convention 2013). I picked up her book at the huge book signing they have and couldn't wait to sit down and get into it. I will have to say that when I started it I thought to myself that it wasn't really a new story line. But then I kept going and realized I didn't care if it was, or wasn't, because I really started to like the characters. When you first meet Lee Ann you wonder if she's going to use her nieces as a pawn between her and Cody, but shortly learn that she had their best interest at heart. It took me a few chapters to not be mad at Cody for what he did. His back story really broke my heart. Sugar Springs turned out to be a great story that made me fall in love with the town, and the people in it. I can't wait for the next book in the series, Sweet Nothings which is out on September 24th. Happy reading!    


Comments

Popular Posts